1. Baby Max had his first black eye this week! *heartbreaking* He split his eye open at daycare trying to pull himself up and had to have it glued closed! The first of many wounds, I’m sure.
2. I have been wearing these cosmetics for quite some time now. I really believe in the brand and the story behind the woman who created it. I am so excited to start working with them on a consultant basis… not to take away from my day job, of course. But, the baby’s gotta eat. More to come!
3. Our giveaway is still going strong through the weekend! Enter to win an amazing architectural cotton necklace!
4. Registration for Alt Summit opens on Sunday! Who is going??
5. I’ve been excited all week long about taking down two more of my Thirty Before 30 this weekend… Tonight: girl’s night. This weekend: tv series marathon. So stinkin’ excited!
Anything exciting for you this weekend??
Tea For Joy
has quickly become one of my favorite daily reads… you know those blogs that you click on first as you scan your blog reader?? This is one of them! Here are 6 reasons I love Tea For Joy…
1. Lynne’s love for all things British.
2. The fact that I love coffee and she makes me want to switch to tea.
3. That she has me wondering if her super cute paper shop, Papermash, ships to the US! I plan to order a few of these wine tags!
4. A great series, called Folksy Four, that led me to a new handmade shop.
5. She has an amazing eye for style that inspires me to do something creative with my home.
6. That I get to read some of my favorite blogger’s & style maker’s Style Resolutions.
Go check out Tea For Joy, show some love, and find even more splendid reason to love this blog!
I just love my family. That’s all.
p.s. My son is quite the chunk!
Ever since my beach vacation, I’ve been hard pressed to actually style my hair. Instead of blowdrying I’ve just been letting the mop air dry. It’s my little way of pretending that I’m not back in the real world. Now, surprisingly I’ve been getting a lot of compliments on my new no-fuss ‘do’. This would not have been possible without Bumble and Bumble’s Surf Spray. Just spray, scrunch, and air dry. It’s even great for adding texture to straight hair! And, listen up guys, my husband started sneaking a few sprays and now uses it every day. It’s a genius product! Saves me time and makes me look good. What could be better?
So, what’s your obsession??
Want to share one of your obsessions on Hello, Splendor? We’d love to have you!
Just email me at beth [at] bethdotolo [dot] com.
Aspiring Kennedy has continued her travels and just returned from Malibu… If you’ll all remember, I am her personal interior designer who helps with all of her vacation homes! Here’s a sneak peek of what I’m thinking for her Malibu home. See the full post HERE!
After seeing Inception this past weekend, I found myself loving the idea of a totem… I was mesmerized by the stylized spinning top that Leonardo DiCaprio carried. This got me thinking… If I travelled through dreams with my Hello, Splendor family, what kind of totems would we all carry?? Or, wear?? Here is what I came up with… all via etsy!
1. Me! – You know I love a moustache! Little Stache Necklace by J2Jewelry
2. Fabulous K – Vintage, feminine, and lovely… says ‘Fab K’ to me. Vintage Inspired Necklace by Creative Accidents
3. Aspiring Kennedy – Boating Chic… perfect for A.K. The Tiniest Sterling Asymmetrical Anchor by Freshly Fig
4. Cashmere Cowboy – Shell casing cufflinks? That’s got ‘Cashmere Cowboy’ written all over it. 30-30 Reminton Cufflinks by Cufflinks
5. The Someday Girl – A delicate and bohemian style key for unlocking all of her someday wishes! The Simple Vintage Style Key Necklace by Freshly Fig.
6. Poppa Splendor – A collar stay with our son’s name… the perfect sentiment! Custom Brass Hand Stamped Men’s Collar Stay by Sieze The Night
If you had a totem, what would it be??
No. 10 & No. 24… check! We’ll go ahead and kill two birds with one stone, but let’s hope this isn’t our last date night & movie before I turn 30!
Kevin & I went to see Inception at IMAX. It. Was. Incredible. Totally lived up to the hype! Must see.
Side Note: I would just like to say that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is quickly becoming one of my new favorites. He’s a great actor, funny, serious, kinda cute, looks really good in his clothes, is super agile and athletic, and he can dance!
But, back to Date Night… It was great! Kevin and I loved the movie, had cocktails afterwards, and just sat at the bar, sans-baby, and talked. Must do it again soon…
Have you seen Inception yet??
No. 5… check(ish). You may remember my Mother’s Day loot? Well, I finally cashed in on that Rookie Mom Rubdown at Bliss Spa. Let me start by saying that I am not complaining about a massage! But, ‘Bliss’ it was not.
Here’s the recap:
It all started out with me forgetting my gift certificate and having to dash back home to get it after lunch…
I arrived *frazzled* to the spa 20 min late and had my massage time cut down.
I had to endure a conversation about my stretch marks and love handles with the massage therapist. Yes, she pointed them out. It was the rookie mom rubdown, after all. I was in good humor, because let’s be honest, there is no denying their existence on this post-baby body.
Oh, did I mention I had spicy asian food for lunch?? Oh, yes. I broke wind. Several times. Awkward.
After I finally started to relax… I fell asleep. Missed the massage.
To cap off the massage, I rinsed off in the ‘steam shower’ only to be mauled by eucalyptus. As I was sure I was having my last moments of life in that steam shower I burst out in a claustrophobic panic… butt-naked… into the public changing room.
Got dressed… checked out (with $70+ worth of products for my love handles and stretch marks)… and giggled my way home.
At least it made for a fun story and a few laughs… I may have to try this one again.
Do you ever find that your best laid plans don’t meet your expectations??
I have a new love… I found Revisions Design Studio at ICFF in NYC at a carefully curated collection of design professionals exhibiting their work at the Designboom Mart. All of Revision Design Studio’s work is amazing, but as fall approaches (wishfully sooner!) I have been especially drawn to their Cotton Spiral Architectural Necklaces. As luck would have it… they are giving away one of their amazing necklaces to a lucky Hello, Splendor reader!
4. Blog about our giveaway.
5. Add Hello, Splendor to your blogroll.
Be sure to leave a comment on this post for EACH SEPARATE ENTRY! You can enter for 7 chances to win!!
The winner will be announced on Monday, August 2nd!
Good Luck!! And Enjoy…
This giveaway is closed.
Hello Splendorites, I just got back from my first trip to Marfa, Texas and Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. Allow me to share all the incredible sights with you on these very unique and uncommon southwest towns.
T or C, NM
The trip began with the long but music and talk radio filled (thanks to Sirius XM) journey to Truth or Consequences, NM. This town is a quirky little town that dates back to the late 1800′s as a hot springs town. Today it is a refuge for many amazing artists and musicians.
Eat: Little Sprout Market - Great lunch and Juice bar
See: Fernando Mercado – Amazing artist who will invite you into his studio to drewl over is incredible art
On to Marfa…
Here is where the trip gets interesting… We pack up and start towards Marfa passing through the lovely border town of El Paso, Tx. We get approximately 10 miles out side of town when the car abruptly shows me on the display that the tire is rapidly losing tire pressure…. An hour later and making a new friend named Jose from roadside assistance we make our way back to El Paso for a tire. The travel gods spoke and we were unable to get the “special” tire we needed that day leaving us to brave this town for an evening. We survived and made it to Marfa the next day. Here is what made this place a must see….
|Stay: Hotel Paisano – 1930′s Hacienda Style hotel famous for accommodating the cast of the movie Giant while on location. Stay in the original rooms that Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, or James Dean stayed in. You wont be disappointed.
Eat: Cochineal – inviting and minimal with the best meal we had on the trip – order everything
The Get Go - small but very well appointed market, the Dean and Deluca of West Texas
|the get go
|See: 2D Gallery – If you are looking for a special piece of artwork go see Dennis at 2d. I really could have gone home with every item in the gallery
|Chinati Foundation – Donald Judd’s vision to create a home and living studio for installations of large scale contemporary artwork. A must see!
|arber & sons
Arber and Sons – Some of the nicest people we met while on our trip, they invited us in their studio on their off day to show us their collaboration between Arber & Son Editions and visiting artists-in-residence at the Chinati Foundation in Marfa. This studio space is filled to the brim with some of the most incredible limited edition lithographs you will ever find. Stop in to see all the wonderful things Robert and Valerie are doing with this innovative project.
This trip should be on your bucket list, not the easiest place travel to but if you are like me you will fall in love and begin planning your next trip back before you even leave.
-GWJ Cashmere Cowboy
1. I think I may have found my new best friend. Her blog is hilarious. Since my real best friend, Judgmental Gentry, is spending a few weeks in China… Natalie will have to fill her void.
2. This girl blew me away this week. I’d love a piece of her courage.
3. My Thirty Before 30 adventure inspired someone else! Love this… Go see Allison’s list!
4. My dear friend, and Hello, Splendor contributor, just took his maiden voyage into the blogging world this week with his new blog, Cashmere Cowboy! Go follow him! If his blog is anything like his personality, you’ll be glad you did. He’s got things to say.
5. I’ve been connecting with so many new people on twitter this week and really enjoying it… Are you on twitter? You should be. Hit me up! @hellosplendor
Did anything exciting happen in your week??
Or was it just blissfully mundane? Sometimes those are the best, aren’t they?
Hello lovelies! I’m starting to get SO excited about all of the amazing fall fashions that are right around the corner. Being a girl who LIVES in layers, fall is definitely my favorite season for shopping. A few pieces you can’t go wrong with to update your look now…and throughout the fall.
1. Marc by Marc Jacobs Military Jacket. Military influence is THE must-wear outerwear look of the season – and this piece is perfect. It’s yummy worn now with a loose tank and short denim shorts, and can dressed up for fall over a dress and tights (or jeans…)
2. Ann Taylor Loft Silk Slub Skirt. A touch of fabulous is another look I’m loving this year…in silk, sequin, lace or ruffle – you can’t have too many girlie touches. It balances the masculinity of the military influence we’re seeing…Loving this skirt with bare legs and ankle booties for summer, add tights and a jacket to wear all fall/ winter long.
3. J. Crew Sequin Tank. A simple stunner for a girls night out, layered under a sweater or blazer come fall.
4. Gap Trouser Boyfriend Jean. My favorite jean of the season. Wear it rolled and cropped for the ultimate slouch…today with flat sandals, later with wood sandals and slouchy socks (yes, socks with sandals, trust me:)
5. Accessorize with gaggles of accessories – like these long chains and chunky rings. All will get you well into 2011 stylishly polished!